My diary as I start a BSc degree with the Open University, alongside job hunting and dealing with my ongoing depression.

Tuesday 2 January 2018

Impostor Syndrome

Dear Diary,

On twitter the other day a lovely tweeter asked a question, aimed I think at students who were well along their learning journey or even finishing soon. (if you're on twitter go read the thread it's very interesting)


So I posed a question, one that doesn't just apply to how I feel about starting my course but one that has plagued me my entire adult life


Answer, you don't really it just gets easier to push though (again the thread is a good one to read)


It's refreshing to see I'm not the only one who feels like a fraud at something I actually am not a fraud in, not talking about my academics for a moment here as I'm new to that so obviously don't know what I'm doing. 

But in my previous job, that I held down for nearly 14 years, I often felt like a fraud, that I didn't really know what I was doing and that I'd soon be found out. But when I actually stop and think about it, I was damn good at that job, even though it wasn't something that interested me I did well, I performed well and I got pretty damn good results.

So yeah, if you're reading this and you're new to something and feel like a fraud, you're not alone, I'm pretty sure everyone feels that way, heck I still felt it after 14 years in my previous career. And now I'm starting my degree it's returned with a vengeance. 

So reach out, talk to others, ask them about it and how they feel, a problem shared is a problem halved. Talking to the tweeter above and reading the other responses to her tweet made me realise it's not just me, I'm not alone feeling like this. And that on its own made me feel better.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig