My diary as I start a BSc degree with the Open University, alongside job hunting and dealing with my ongoing depression.

Sunday 31 December 2017

Winter makes me S.A.D

Dear Diary,

I was reminded today that we are past the winter solstice now and that days will be slowly getting lighter again. All I can say to that is, "thank goodness", I'm not made for the winter weather we get here in Britain these days, when I was younger it was cold and we had snow but blue skies and sunshine, these days it's just grey and wet and dismal and those combined with depression lead to a season of extra suffering when my S.A.D comes out to play.

Happier days

Seasonal affective disorder is a type of depression that comes and goes in a seasonal pattern.

Not to say I don't have depression any other time of the year, I do, but with my medication it is a lot easier to manage, the onset of the grey, wet, dismal weather we have during winter in this country makes that coping a lot harder to do.

Symptoms of SAD can include: 

  • A persistent low mood 
  • A loss of pleasure or interest in normal everyday activities 
  • Irritability 
  • Feelings of despair, guilt and worthlessness 
  • Feeling lethargic (lacking in energy) and sleepy during the day 
  • Sleeping for longer than normal and finding it hard to get up in the morning 
  • Craving carbohydrates and gaining weight 

The exact cause of SAD isn't fully understood, but it's often linked to reduced exposure to sunlight during the shorter autumn and winter days. The main theory is that a lack of sunlight might stop a part of the brain called the hypothalamus working properly, which may affect the:

  • Production of melatonin – melatonin is a hormone that makes you feel sleepy; in people with SAD, the body may produce it in higher than normal levels 
  • Production of serotonin – serotonin is a hormone that affects your mood, appetite and sleep; a lack of sunlight may lead to lower serotonin levels, which is linked to feelings of depression 
  • Body's internal clock (circadian rhythm) – your body uses sunlight to time various important functions, such as when you wake up, so lower light levels during the winter may disrupt your body clock and lead to symptoms of SAD

I would hazard a guess that a lot of people suffer with S.A.D during the winter months in Britain, the lack of sunlight helps no one and the general depressiveness of the months affects all but the hardcore winter lovers.

Now we're past winter solstice I'm on the countdown to spring, my favourite time of the year, when plants start blooming and the animals are out and about again. Although that is still a few months away there's nothing wrong with looking forward, by then I'll be three months into my degree course as well, and hopefully (fingers crossed) doing well.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig